Website Colorado State University, Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition
Extension Program Specialist and Multimedia Coordinator
College of Applied Human Sciences
Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523-1571
The Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition is one of eight academic programs in the College of Health and Human Sciences. Colorado State University (CSU) is Colorado’s land grant institution and holds the Doctoral/Research University – Extensive classification from the Carnegie Commission on Higher Education. The Department 28 faculty and adjunct members and 18 research associates and administrative staff, ~450 undergraduate students and offers undergraduate degrees in Nutrition and Food Science, Hospitality Management and Fermentation Science and Technology. The department also offers MS and PhD degrees in Nutrition Science, Community Nutrition and Food Science and Safety and currently has ~50 graduate students. Department research is supported by federal grants from NIH, USDA, foundations, industry and two endowments that support a faculty chair and the Lillian Fountain-Smith Nutrition Conference hosted by the department.
The individual in this position will work as a member of a team of Extension professionals within the Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition and be a representative of Colorado State University who interfaces with the public, working jointly with Extension and Department personnel. The duties of this position require the ability to coordinate and assist in the development and distribution of resource materials and outreach programs related to food safety, nutrition, and health. The successful candidate will:
· Assist with translating science for the public and enhancing Extension programming through the use of technology, including but not limited to websites, social media, and video;
· Contribute to the development of outreach materials, including training slides, content for Food Smart Colorado and Preserve Smart websites, newsletters, and media articles;
· Help coordinate and maintain resources stored on shared platforms;
· Provide technical support for Extension specialists;
· Communicate and network with Extension agents and coordinate web-based trainings, campus-based workshops, and provide support for educational material development;
· Participate in Extension and university technology training;
Help coordinate student/intern work and activities with Extension personnel
· Bachelor’s degree in Food Science, Nutrition, Public Health, Health Communications, or other closely related field.
· Strong oral and written communication skills.
· Demonstrated competency with computer applications including Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Teams, and Outlook).
· Strong organizational skills and ability to successfully manage multiple deadline-driven projects.
· Ability to work both independently and as part of a diverse team.
· Completed master’s degree in a food- or health-related program.
· Experience with website content creation and/or website management using WordPress (or similar computer management system).
· Familiarity and experience with graphic design applications such as Canva or Adobe Creative Suite.
· Experience managing social media platforms.
· Familiarity with health promotion outreach programs.
· Experience working with and developing content for diverse audiences.
Duties Percent Effort
Outreach Research and Education
· Assist in research and development of food-related resource materials and health promotion campaigns
· Work with county Extension agents and regional specialists to distribute new and revised materials
· Provide regular technology updates and tutorials for Extension specialists and agents
· Stay up-to-date with online-learning methodologies
Percentage of Time: 60%
· Coordinate the organization, storage, and revisions of nutrition, food safety, and health resource materials
· Oversee multimedia platforms
· Guide and manage student worker assignments
Percentage of Time: 30%
· Provide assistance related to food preservation and food safety education for Extension professionals, faculty, students, and the general public
Percentage of Time: 10%
· This position involves daily decision-making related to scheduling, organizing, and assessing outreach education programs, resources, and multimedia content. Decision-making will also be integral in providing science-based information to colleagues and the public. The person in this position will assist with the assignment of projects and oversight for graduate and undergraduate student workers.
Special Application Instructions: Apply here: https://jobs.colostate.edu/postings/115951
Submit, electronically, 1) a letter of application describing your qualifications and ability to fulfill responsibilities as listed; 2) a curriculum vitae or resume; 3) the names, addresses, e-mail and telephone numbers of three references to: https://jobs.colostate.edu/postings/115951. Applications and nominations will be considered until the position is filled; however, applicants should submit materials by 12/5/2022 for full consideration. Inquiries are welcome. Please contact Marisa.Bunning@colostate.edu, Chair of the committee.
Conditions of Employment:
Pre-employment background check. Colorado State University strives to provide a safe study, work, and living environment for its faculty, staff, volunteers and students. To support this environment and comply with applicable laws and regulations, CSU conducts background checks for the finalist before a final offer. The type of background check conducted varies by position and can include, but is not limited to, criminal history, sex offender registry, motor vehicle history, financial history, and/or education verification. Background checks will also be conducted when required by law or contract and when, in the discretion of the University, it is reasonable and prudent to do so.
Colorado State University is committed to providing an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based on race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, or pregnancy in its employment, programs, services and activities, and admissions, and, in certain circumstances, marriage to a co-worker. The University will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Colorado State University is an equal opportunity and equal access institution and affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and Colorado State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. The Office of Equal Opportunity is located in 101 Student Services.
The Title IX Coordinator is the Director of the Office of Title IX Programs and Gender Equity, 123 Student Services Building, Fort Collins, CO 80523-0160, (970) 491-1715, firstname.lastname@example.org. The Section 504 and ADA Coordinator is the Director of the Office of Equal Opportunity, 101 Student Services Building, Fort Collins, CO 80523-0160, (970) 491-5836, email@example.com. The Coordinator for any other forms of misconduct prohibited by the University’s Policy on Discrimination and Harassment is the Vice President for Equity, Equal Opportunity and Title IX, 101 Student Services Building, Fort Collins, Co. 80523-0160, (970) 491-5836, firstname.lastname@example.org. Any person may report sex discrimination under Title IX to the Office of Civil Rights, Department of Education.
Personal or professional commitment to diversity as demonstrated by persistent effort, active planning, allocation of resources and/or accountability for diversity outcomes.
To apply for this job email your details to Marisa.Bunning@colostate.edu