Continuing Ed Approval
Guidelines for Obtaining Continuing Professional Education Registered Dietitians & Dietetic Technicians
The Colorado Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (CAND) approves continuing educational programs falling under the CDR Activity Type “170 Lectures/Seminars” held within any Colorado State County based on the program presenter’s credentials, program content and length. One (1) continuing professional education (CPE) hour is given per hour of presentation, interactive discussion, poster review and exhibitor contact.
CAND does not approve multi-state programs, group study programs, self-study programs, live webinars and teleseminars, or interactive workshops. Only the Commission on Dietetic Registration can approve these specific programs.
All materials must be submitted at least one month prior to the event.
The Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR) has switched to a paperless system for prior approval of Continuing Professional Education (CPE) activities.
All Activities and their supporting materials are now submitted directly to the CDR Database by the organizations contact, and then reviewed by the Colorado affiliate reviewer online. Activity verifications are generated by the CDR CPE Database.
Steps to Apply for Continuing Education Approval:
- Click this link to access the Prior Approval CPE Guidelines and the Online CPE Database: http://www.cdrnet.org/form-prior-approval
- Look under Step 2 on the Prior Approval Guidelines page to find another link which will provide you with access to complete the form and submit materials. (Note: Do not make a payment at this time.)
- Make payment to CAND.
Payment by check made payable to CAND can be mailed to: CAND, 6300 East Hampden Avenue, Suite C #314, Denver, CO 80222.
Payment by credit card can be made by selecting appropriate hours below and clicking on “Buy Now”. Fee is based on the number of credit hours requested.
Steps to follow once your program has been approved:
- Provide a Certificate of Attendance to all attendees. A Certificate of Attendance must include:
- Program title
- Program provider with contact information
- Date and location
- Number and level of approved CPE hours
- Maintain a documented attendance list for seven (7) years should the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR) need to verify attendance during a CPE verification audit.
- Maintain the signed Prior Approval Request Form showing approval by CAND for (7) years. This document will be sent to you once your program has been approved.
If you have any questions, please contact Hilary Green at firstname.lastname@example.org.